Sunday, November 6, 2011

Recliner Woman’s Helpful Links for Friends with Cancer

If you or a friend are going through cancer, here are some helpful websites.

1.    Blog a cancer journey @ www.caringbridge.org 
I blogged my cancer at CaringBridge (www.caringbridge.org/visit/marlahartson).  My friend encouraged me that phone calls and e-mails would be too hard to maintain.  A blog allowed me to update when I could, and my friends to catch up when they could.  The site is free. 

2.    Coordinate volunteers @ www.lotsahelpinghands.com
            Coordinate meals @ www.takethemameal.com
These two sites help with coordinating volunteers. LotsAHelpingHands provides sites for schools and community groups as well as individuals in need of help.  My church uses www.takethemameal.com to coordinate meals for new moms and surgery patients, which helps us space out the Chicken and Rice.  Both sites are free. 
           
3.    Get free housecleaning for women with cancer @ www.cleaningforareason.org
Submit your friend’s name, address and a doctor’s note to this site, and they’ll identify a housecleaner in her neighborhood to provide once a month cleaning for four months – for free.  Lying around looking at all the housework I couldn’t do was not fun.  Lying in my recliner smelling a freshly cleaned house was oh, so much better!

4.    Check out alternative cancer treatments @ www.americancancersociety.com
Suggestions from friends for alternative treatments can be overwhelming.  I found the American Cancer Society had helpful information on almost every one.  When I found things that felt right for me, I would print out the American Cancer Society information on that product and bring it with me to the oncologist for her review. 

My Websites:
1.    This blog:  friendswithcancer.blogspot.com explains how to help your loved one who is going through cancer. 
Check out the post entitled “Radiation Gravy”  with the recipe my radiation oncologist recommended that helped keep my skin hydrated during radiation. 
2.    Send an encouraging and/or funny cancer card @ http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/reclinerwoman
3.    Joy in Cancer @ www.joyincancer.com describes how God taught me to “do” cancer without grumbling and complaining:  honestly, but with praise, gratitude and laughter.
4.    My first book, Praise PhD, is available on Amazon. 
     https://www.amazon.com/Praise-PhD-Praising-Middle-Valley/dp/1542963028
      $5.99 in print or $2.99 on Kindle.  Makes a great gift for newly diagnosed friends with cancer.  

.  

No comments:

Post a Comment